US K1 Visa Thailand

US K1 Visa Thailand for girlfriend

US K1 Visa Thailand

The US K1 visa Thailand or also known as US Fiancé Visa for Thai is one of the most requested U.S. visas next to the B1/B2 Visa or US Tourist Visa.

We also suggest you to read the information of US Tourist Visa for Thai from here: Information for US Tourist Visa for Thai.

Thailand is well-known for being the main destination of Western Retirees or Businessmen, as a result, many of the Western men who travel or settle in Thailand meet Thai ladies whom they found love with.

When foreigners decide to settle with the Thai citizens, they meet in Thailand they usually consider settling back to the U.S as well and that’s the start of their visa journey as a couple.

The U.S. Department of State issues the K-1 to the foreign national fiancé/fiancée of U.S. citizens for the purpose of entering the United States for marriage.

Once married, the foreign national may adjust the status to permanent resident (green card holder).

Traveling to the United States of America is a dream come true for many people, for some it is a way to achieve their dreams, some venture to the United States to be with their partners, and some for travel and tourism purposes.

K-1 US Fiancé Visa or US K1 Visa Thailand is one of the most sought-after visas in the Kingdom.

This type of visa gives an opportunity for U.S. Citizens to bring their Fiancé or Fiancée in United States of America.

US K-1 Fiancé Visa (US K-1 Fiancée Visa) is a type of visa dedicated to bring cultures together and to give an opportunity for interracial marriages to be possible.

The K-1 Visa Thailand is an integrated type of visa for U.S. Citizens to bring their beloved future spouses in the United States.

But whatever your purpose is rest assure that Siam Attorney is here to assist you with all your needs.

However, mistakes in the K-1 visa process can ruin those plans.

Minor oversights may only delay the process, but other mistakes can create long-term immigration problems.

Ok, Let drive thru the information of this visa as below.

Table of Content:

  1. What is the US K1 visa Thailand or US Fiancee’ visa?
  2. Eligibility of the K-1 US Fiancé visa Thailand.
  3. Requirements for the US K1 Fiancé Visa Thailand Petition.
  4. The Different Packets for the K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand.
  5. Steps in applying for the US K1 Visa Thailand.
  6. Visa fee and Expenses for K-1 US Fiancé Visa.
  7. Issues and Problems.
  8. Advice from our Visa Consultants.
  9. Conclusion.

Feedback from our US Visa client

“Dear Mr. Jirasak and Miss Ying,

It was my pleasure to write that message. Miss Aonpairin and I will be forever grateful to Siam Attorney for the wonderful service we received, and the superlative attention that your firm extended to our U.S. CR-1 Visa process.

From the initial Registration of our Thai marriage, to the issuance of Miss Aonpairin’s U.S. Visa, we were completely happy and satisfied with the work of you, Mr. Jirasak, Miss Ying especially, Miss Saifon, and the entire Siam Attorney Office.

Please feel free to use us as a reference for anyone considering your Office for marriage or visa services in Thailand. You may extend my name and e-mail address for this purpose. I will be happy to relate the good and valued experience we have had with Siam Attorney.

Best regards,

David Hendrix and Aonpairin Somjai”

K1 visa thailand

1. What is the US K1 visa Thailand or US Fiancee’ visa?

The US K1 visa Thailand is quite a straightforward type of visa.

This visa permits the Thai fiancé of the US citizens or foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival.

The foreign-citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident (LPR) with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Because a fiancé(e) visa permits the holder to immigrate to the U.S. and marry a U.S. citizen shortly after arrival in the United States, the fiancé(e) must meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa.

It is the best feeling in the world to be with your loved one, but nothing compares to the feeling of being tied together and bonded with the love of your life.

For American Citizens, a Visa to bring your fiancé or fiancée to the U.S is possible.

The K-1 US Fiancé Visa was designed to allow you (for American citizens) to bring your Thai Fiancé to the US for the purpose of marriage.

Once granted, your Thai fiancé(e) will have six months to travel to the US.

Upon arriving in the USA, your Thai Fiancé will be allowed to stay in the US for up to 90 days in order to register marriage within the specific time and file the adjustment of status.

Failure to marry within 90 days affects your Thai Fiancé and must depart the US before the 90 days admission expires.

us k1 visa thailand meaning

2. Eligibility of the K-1 US Fiancé visa Thailand.

In order to have a smooth sailing on your K-1 US Fiancé visa journey you must remember that there are a few eligibilities for you to successfully get the visa for your Fiancé(e).

Here in Thailand, the eligibility for the K-1 US Fiancé visa is quite straightforward according to the USCIS.

First, for the Petitioner (U.S Citizen) you must have an annual income above the Poverty Guidelines for Affidavit of Support according to the USCIS.

During the visa interview (which will be another step of the application), applicants will be required to present evidence to the consular officer that they will not become a public charge in the United States.

You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer will request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e).

Second, the Thai fiancé(e) and U.S. citizen sponsor must have met in person within the past two years.

The couple must prove to the USCIS that their relationship is genuine and that their intention to live together in the U.S is solely for the purpose of living together and building a family and life in the U.S.

USCIS may grant an exception to this requirement, based on extreme hardship for the U.S. citizen sponsor to personally meet the foreign-citizen fiancé(e), or, for example, if it is contrary in the U.S. citizen sponsor’s or foreign-citizen fiancé(e)’s culture for a man and woman to meet before marriage.

Third, Both the U.S. citizen and the K-1 visa applicant must have been legally free to marry at the time the petition was filed and must have remained so thereafter.

Fourth, the health examination of the beneficiary or Thai Fiancé must show good results and free from communicable diseases such as Tuberculosis, Syphilis, Leprosy, etc.

The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the U.S. state in which the marriage will take place.

And Lastly, as for the Beneficiary’s side (Thai Citizen), He or she must have a clear criminal background meaning that the beneficiary must be free from any legal liabilities and obligation.

If in case there is a criminal record in the past, worry not as our firm will find a way to assist you even with this kind of obstacles.

Qualifications for the U.S. Fiancé when petitioning for K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand.

  • S Citizen must have an annual income above the Poverty Guidelines for Affidavit of Support according to the USCIS.
  • S Citizen must be free to marry or must present a Divorce Decree from Previous Marriage(s) (if any)
  • Criminal Record (clear)

Due to Covid 19, we suggest you to read additional article from this page as well: How to apply US K1 for Year 2021

qualification for us k1 visa thailand

3 .Requirements for the US K1 Fiancé Visa Thailand Petition.

For the K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand, there will be two separate requirements as both the Petitioner (U.S Citizen) and the Beneficiary (Thai Citizen) will be required to submit the following documents as listed below:

Requirements for the Petitioner (U.S. Citizen)

  • Proof of US citizenship such as copy of birth certificate, naturalization certificate, and certificate of citizenship.
  • Income Eligibility Requirement (please refer to the Poverty Guidelines)
  • Form 1040 Tax returns (Latest year)
  • Form W-2 (Latest year)
  • IRS Tax Return Transcript. (Latest year)
  • Copy of your divorce decree or death certificate of all of your previous spouse(s) (if any)
  • Copy of your change name or surname (if any)
  • (2) Two photos (please write your full name and date of birth on the back part)
  • Copy of your current passport on bio data page and every page which has Thai Visas and Thai immigration stamps, also, other stamps relating to travel history between you and your Thai Fiancé.
  • Copy of rental agreement or your domicile in USA or any documents showing that you own a house in USA (address which you and your fiancée will live together in the US)
  • Statement of your employer on business stationary revealing:
    1. Date and nature of employment
    2. Salary
    3. Duration of the position (if temporary or permanent)
  • Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, may be requested)

Requirements for the Beneficiary (Thai Citizen)

  • Current Passport (and old passport if any)
  • Birth Certificate
  • All certificates of name/surname change (if applicable)
  • House Registration (Tabien Baan)
  • Single Certificate
  • ID Card
  • 12 Visa Photos size 2×2 inches See the required photo format explained in Photograph Requirements
  • Proof of Relationship i.e. photos, flight itinerary, chat history, proof of money transfers.
  • Completed Form DS-160, Online Non-immigrant Visa Application. (1) complete Form DS-160 and (2) print the DS-160 confirmation page to bring to your interview.
  • Divorce or death certificate(s) of any previous spouse(s).
  • Police certificates from your present country of residence (period of 6 months) and the previous country where you lived for more than 1 year.
  • Medical examination (vaccinations are optional)

Please Note: During the Interview, the consular officer may ask for additional information, such as photographs and other proof that the relationship with your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is genuine.

Documents in foreign languages, other than the language of the country in which the application takes place, should be translated.

Applicants should take to the visa interview clear, legible photocopies of civil documents and translations, such as birth and divorce certificates.

Original documents and translations will be returned.

4. The Different Packets for the US K1 Visa Thailand.

Packet 1

Documents required for the Packet 1 of the K-1 US Fiancé Visa

  • Form I-129F (Petitioner)
  • Civil documents such as the following: (for both the Petitioner and Beneficiary)
    1. Passport
    2. Birth Certificate
    3. Divorce Decree & death certificate of previous spouses (if applicable) (both)
    4. Certificate of Freedom to Marry (Beneficiary)
  • Proof of Relationship (within the past 2 years) such as:
    1. Photos
    2. Flight tickets and visa stamps
    3. Chat history
  • Letter of Intent to Marry
  • Copy of rental agreement or your domicile in USA (Petitioner)
  • Employment Certificate (Petitioner)
  • 2 photos (both)

Procedure for Packet 1

Once USCIS receives the documents as above-mentioned the Petitioner will then be issued a receipt number (I797C) or Notice of Action which he can use to check the Petition status online.

After it is approved by the USCIS and the Petition is on the process of being sent to the NVC they will then issue an Approval Notice (I797) to the Petitioner to notify that USCIS already approved your petition, then you may move on to the next step.

Timeframe for Packet 1

The process will take at least 4-6 months.

us fiance visa packet 1 timeline

Packet 2

Endorsement of Petition by the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) to the NVC (National Visa Center).

Basically, the petitioner will just have to wait for the NVC to acknowledge and approve the Petition and wait for the Case Number.

The NVC will then issue a Case Number to start with Packet 3 procedure.

Timeframe for Packet 2

The waiting time for the NVC to issue the Case Number is not more than 1 month.

nvc packet 2 timeline

Packet 3

Documents required for the Packet 3 of the K-1 US Fiancé Visa.

  • Confirmation Page printout of Form DS-160
  • DS-2001 (Notification of Applicant Readiness)
  • Beneficiary Address and Contact Information Confirmation (GSS)

Note: You must scan the confirmation for the Form DS-160, GSS and DS-2001 and send to

Procedure for Packet 3

Fill up the form DS-160 and pay the fee of $265, and then after 1 working day you will receive the GSS confirmation. The Petitioner and Beneficiary must send scanned copies and fill out online forms as above-mentioned. They must then send it to You will not receive an interview date until you send the aforementioned forms.

Timeframe for Packet 3

The beneficiary should be notified by the US Embassy regarding the schedule of interview appointment. This notification should be sent within 2 weeks after you submitted the Packet 3.

The US Embassy normally will indicate the date of interview within the next 1-2 months. Once you receive the notification of interview appointment, you can go on to Packet 4 (Final Packet).

Packet 4 (Visa Appointment Packet)

Documents required to bring on the Interview Date.


  • I-134 (original) signed by the Petitioner
  • Passport and Visa if any (Valid for at least 8 months or more)
  • Previous Passports (if any)
  • DS-160 fee receipt
  • Birth Certificates
  • Name Change Certificate (if any)
  • Divorce Decree and Death Certificate (if any)
  • Latest Tax and Financial Documents
  • Evidence of Relationship

Note: The Beneficiary can bring copies of the following documents from the Petitioner on the day of the Interview except I-134


  • Beneficiary Address and Contact Information Confirmation (GSS)
  • Passport and Visa if any (Valid for at least 8 months or more)
  • Previous Passports (if any)
  • Two (2) photographs
  • Single Status Certificate
  • Birth Certificates
  • Name Change Certificate (if any)
  • Medical Examination
  • Police certificates from your present country of residence (period of 6 months) and the previous country where you lived for more than 1 year.
  • Evidence of Relationship such as photograph, chat history, travel docs etc.,
  • Divorce or Death Certificate of previous Spouses
  • Interview Application Notification
  • Reminder of the Interview Date
  • Confirmation of DS-160

Timeframe for Packet 4

Once your application has been approved, you will have at least 2 weeks to prepare for your final interview date.

You must gather the following documents as above-mentioned and present it on the day of the interview.

After the interview, if your application is approved you must wait another 5-7 days to get your passport back.

However, if your application is denied, you will get your passport back and a letter stating what actions you must do or what was the problem behind the application being denied.

packet 4 for K1 visa thailand

5.Steps in applying for the K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand.

For the K-1 US Fiancé Visa in Thailand there are two steps to follow,

  1. First is, for the U.S. citizen sponsor, you must file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live.

See Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) for information on where to file the petition.

Further information is available on the USCIS website under Fiancé(e) Visas. Note: Form I-129F cannot be filed at a U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or USCIS office abroad.

After USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC).

The NVC will give you a case number and send your petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé(e) lives.

  1. The NVC will mail you (the U.S citizen sponsor) a letter when it sends your fiancé(e) case to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Thailand.

Once you receive this letter, inform your fiancé(e) to take the below-listed actions to apply for a K-1 visa and prepare for the interview at the Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok.

Please see the clip how interview process below.

6.Visa fee and Expenses for K-1 US Fiancé Visa (as of October 30, 2019)



Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé

(This must be paid by the U.S Petitioner to the USCIS)

DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form $265 

The listed fees above excludes the following expenses for K-1 U.S Fiancé Visa:

  • Medical Examination Fee
  • Police Certificate Fee
  • Courier Fees (there will be series of document exchanges from the Petitioner and Beneficiary)
k1 us fiance visa

7. Issues and Problems.

The process for obtaining the K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand is not that easy, as one of our visa consultants always say to our clients “The process is like going through the eye of a needle.”

Indeed, it is not easy but the procedure is straight forward and there are a lot of guides for you to follow. With our law firm we will be assisting you throughout the whole process.

The most common issue that the applicants of the K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand face is they face backlash about their personal civil records especially for Thai Citizens.

When applying for this kind of visa the first thing that the officers will check are the criminal record and personal information of the applicant.

There are some cases that those who have criminal records gets smaller chances of getting their visa approved while those who have clear records will be judged solely based on their U.S Fiancé’s capability to support them.

And the biggest problem that we usually face from our clients pertains to the U.S Citizen.

When the Petitioner doesn’t reach the Poverty Guidelines or the Annual Income according to the standards set by the USCIS. 

When this happens, immediately the applicant and the sponsor cannot proceed with the K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand application.

Indeed, the requirements and process of this visa is simple and straight forward but it is implemented strictly.

us fiance visa for thai girlfriend

8. Advice from our Visa Consultants.

Our firm has faced numerous amounts of visa application, we have various experience with different situations based on our clients needs.

Our visa consultants are very versatile and adept on processing visa applications for our clients.

We believe that the K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand is a great visa as its privilege and benefits can really help the couples, but the process is tedious and the USCIS is strict about their guidelines and requirements.

One of our visa consultant’s advice:

We have encountered a lot of difficult situation especially on this type of visa (K-1 US Fiancé Visa). My advice for the Thai Applicants as a professional on this field is that you must trust your visa consultant. I, as a visa consultant work hard for my clients not just for their satisfaction but also to make sure they get the visa. I always ask a series of questions to support their application and sometimes there are clients who doesn’t tell all details that must be declared which causes a trouble during the Visa Application process. Our job as visa consultants is to make sure your application and petition will get approved as well as to educate you about your visa so it is important that you trust us and you tell us the important information concerning your visa application.

US Visa Specialist

We know how important this type of visa for our client is, that’s why we have a dedicated visa and immigration experts working hard to give the best result for U.S. Visa application.

Our team assists our clients in every step of the Visa Application, we know how time consuming and complicated the process of U.S. Visas are that’s why we made sure that we have the best team available to assist our clients.


Our law firm has been in the visa and immigration industry for several years now, we already know the do’s and don’ts of every visa application.

We know how the business revolves and how they implement each rules and regulations.

We have encountered different types of applicants from all around Thailand and some other countries as well, we are confident that we can provide the best visa and immigration advise as well as provide the best service to those who want to acquire K-1 US Fiancé Visa Thailand or any other type of visa.

The process is very complicated and tiring that’s why it is best to seek visa assistance from trusted agencies.

Siam Attorney’s Visa Assistance is known for being resourceful and professional in terms of assisting clients with their visa application.

Our visa consultants are well-trained in handling pressure and taking care of first-time applicants, we have handled different kinds of situation when it comes to the visa application and we held to our core values and beliefs that we have to do our best always for our clients.

Our firm is willing to assist and help you with your visa needs.

Siam Attorney will assist you with the following:

  • Assessment on details of US K1 Visa Thailand applicant before starting the service.
  • Providing insight to the service that we will provide as well as our packages and charges for our services.
  • We do understand that some of our Thai clients are not that familiar with the English language. So, we will handle all application processes including translation, filling of application, preparing the documents and interview practice (if the client is invited for an interview).
  • Our staffs are well-verse in both English and Thai language, we make sure that we can assist you well without language barriers.
  • Accessibility to our team and detailed progress report about the services.
  • Dealing with all the government office and Embassy in Thailand to represent our client.
  • Briefing the clients with all the information they need from their Visa Applications as well as the do’s and don’ts and giving them significant details about their visas.
  • Guaranteed positive output for the Visa Application.

Siam Attorney will do the process for your U.S. Visa Application, for inquiries and more details about how we can help you, please do not hesitate to email us at or call us on the number(s) provided below.